Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Evading a Drunken Stalker

It was my first day at work today (err, make that yesterday because my shift's from 3PM till midnight). The morning was great - prepared breakfast and food for the kids to bring to school, brought them to the school gate, got home just in time for a good five-hour sleep before I had to wake up and prepare for work. I was able to get to work with time to spare. I left home and the kids to our babysitter. The rest of the day had been fun and I was generally happy. The sad part came when it was time to go home.

There was hardly any ride, if there was any at all, going to where I reside at midnight. I was reviewing options for where I could possibly get a ride home until finally my fellow trainee and I decided to share a cab and alight at Trinoma. When we got there we waited again for about 15 minutes for another ride that never came, so we decided to walk and see what was available. He resided in Project 6, which wasn't a problem for there was always a jeepney passing by. I had to settle for an FX that brought me to Congressional Avenue, which was still a good half-kilometer or so from my place. I walked along Mindanao Avenue from there to Road 20 and didn't find any problems as the area was well-lit and there were enough vehicles passing by, enough people walking, enough vendors about... likely on their way home, too. It was when I reached the main road leading to where I lived that I truly began regretting walking.

A few meters from the highway was a tricycle terminal which I snubbed because I rarely ride them anyhow. I regretted that decision a few minutes later as I found myself being followed and cat-called by this drunken man. "Miss... Miss... can we get acquainted?" ("Miss... Miss... pwedeng makipagkilala?") I hastened my steps and listened. He was rather noisy and clumsy in his steps as he was literally staggering along the sidewalk. What surprised me was that, as I brisk-walked to put some good distance between us, he was able to catch up with me that he was almost near enough to grab me. Thank GOD I was still able to keep my composure and make sure he didn't reach me.

The whole length that I had to walk was spent brisk walking and fumbling through my bag for something to arm myself with. I even stopped by an cafeteria, which was still bustling with patrons, to buy something - anything that I might be able to use to defend myself in case I needed to. I stayed there for a while, peering out every so often to make sure that the drunken bastard who was following and cat-calling me earlier was gone. I was earnest about getting home. I bought and lit a cigarette, not with any intention of smoking it, but rather to poke an attacker in the face with it if one crosses my way. I got my house keys out and made knuckle spikes out of them. I bundled up my hair and tucked them into my shirt. Finally, I wrapped my bag around me so that I had my arms and legs free for movement in case I needed to run or defend myself.

I started walking towards home again and, sure enough, found the same drunken man staggering along the same street where I turned. He had bought a cigarette from a store that was still open. I walked slower, making sure he was right in front of me - right where I could see him and where he might go although he was walking really slowly, and going from one side of the street to the other. At some point, he stopped and took a piss at one of the parked vehicles. I walked past him, without running so as not to attract undue attention from him, and went straight home. I kept my ears peeled as he was still rather noisy as he staggered along the street. He apparently recognized me and began calling out to me again, with rather filthy remarks like, "you're pretty, miss... you make me feel horny..." ("ganda mo, miss... nalilibugan ako sayo...") and so on.

I kept a steady pace as I brisk-walked, managing to put a good distance between us. Finally, I reached our garage gate, and as I fumbled to unlock it, I could hear the man whistling and singing some tune as he continued along the same street. I literally threw in my folder and made so much noise as I opened, closed and re-locked the gate! I walked to my front door and kept to the shadows, making sure he couldn't see where I was in case he passed by outside the gate. Thankfully, he didn't.

As I type this, my heart is still racing. I'm not ready to sleep yet but I know I will be once I get this on my blog somehow. I thank God for keeping me safe and sane during that ordeal. I hope anyone who reads this may find something useful in case they find themselves in a similar situation. Perhaps they can share some useful advice as well.

No comments: