Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Curtain Call

At times, life spins so fast,
Too fast that you hardly get to catch your breath,
And the thought of stopping
Feels silly and trite.


At times, the heartaches
Catch you blind-sided and unaware,
And leave you with your mouth
Gaping open, voiceless and meek.


Life is a mystery, shrouded
By a blanket of question marks and exclamations,
And at sixteen, there's hardly
Any room for answers in your head.


Laugh for no reason,
Cry till you can't cry anymore,
Drink till you can't see straight and 
Start walking into walls.


A kaleidoscope of memories
Keep flooding my head each waking hour.
Times felt like it flew so fast,
But the clock says it's been barely a day past.






"25 September 1995


Subject:     Andy


Dearest Anne,
          I hope this does not catch you off-guard, dear. My fingers are still numb and my eyes are still cloudy from crying all night. As you know, Andy met a car accident last Tuesday before his scheduled flight to Chicago then Manila coming from Boston MA. He was in a coma but remained stable for the past few nights. I got a message on the machine last night from the nurses station, bringing me the saddest news.
          Anne, sweetheart, our beloved Andy is gone. He passed away in his sleep last night at past 10. His mum and I are still very much in pain from the news - our only son is lost. I don't know how else to continue this email but let me know when we can call you. You are already a daughter to us. Marie would love to hear your voice right now. Please write back soon.


Love always,
Martin"




Written on September 27, 1995. First published on "Maiden of the Clouds" last 24 January 2000. (url no longer available)

No comments: